The trial date for former Chiefs coach Britt Reid's DWI case was set Thursday. "She didn't know who I was, so as I'm trying to touch my baby, like, 'Hey, baby,' she was, you know, moving away. Oxygen Insider is your all-access pass to never-before-seen content, free digital evidence kits, and much more. The 5-year-old girl who was in a Missouri car crash involving former Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid has awoken from a coma, a relative announced. "This wasn't a fender bender," Porto told "Good Morning. Then prosecutors will review it, potentially for several more weeks, before any criminal charges are filed. The crash occurred Thursday night just after 9 p.m.days before the Chiefs appearance in Sunday's Super Bowlas Reid was getting on an interstate ramp near Arrowhead Stadium, the Chiefs' home. Ariels mother details her new life, questions how Britt Reid could ask for probation, Insect found outside Arkansas Walmart identified as Jurassic-era insect, Good reviews on first month of pot sales in Missouri, Motorcyclist seriously injured in Independence crash. Ariel was unresponsive. So, her mother would carry her 5-year-old around like a newborn. When asked if he was on prescription medication he advised he was on Adderall. Andy Reid briefly addressed the incident Sunday night after the Chiefs lost the Super Bowl 31-9. Hes a prior felon. KANSAS CITY, Mo. Ariel, who is now 7, has returned to school. Early last month, Reid -- who is also the son of Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid -- hit a car belonging to Ariels family. Miller's sister, Angela Saenz, suffered facial cuts and a concussion and. FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports. Reid, the son of head Chiefs coach Andy Reid, allegedly told cops hed had between two and three drinks and taken the prescription drug Adderall. The other child, a then 4-year-old, suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Following the crash, a Kansas City police officer noticed that Reid's eyes were. I'm also a dad so I get that so I have concerns obviously on both sides That little girl, my heart goes out to her.". This is a GoFundMe that shouldnt exist. According to public records, he resides in Overland Park, Kansas, some 30 miles away. Ariel Youngs family wants Britt Reid in prison for hell he put them through. He wants probation. She will strive and she will thrive. Email. He has a reputation as a caring person. My heart goes out to that young lady, Im also a dad, so I get that. At the very least, one of the Chiefs employees, a nepotism hire with a history of legal and substance abuse problems, had a couple drinks and destroyed this family's life. The Chiefs almost certainly already know when he left the building. Still, there are questions about why Britt was the teams outside linebackers coach to begin with and, depending on how the investigation goes, what exactly is happening inside Reids football offices. Ariel is still fighting for her life in a Kansas City, Missouri, hospital with a brain injury and unable to speak, according to Porto. Ariel was with her mother, who was helping a relative who had run out of gas, when the crash happened just after 9 p.m. Feb. 4 on the ramp to enter southbound Interstate 435 from Stadium Drive. The charge, DWI causing serious physical injury, is a class D felony and Reid could face one to seven years in prison. My heart goes out to all those that were involved in the accident, in particular the family with the little girl who is fighting for her life, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said Sunday night of the incident involving his son, Britt Reid. Ariel Miller is a Senior Estimating Engineer at JE Dunn Construction based in Kansas City, Missouri. Reid's "serum blood alcohol concentration" two hours after the crash was 0.113%, which is over the legal limit of 0.08%, according to a KCPD probable cause document. Details about Ariel's condition remain limited because of a legal agreement with the Chiefs, who have worked out a payment plan for her medical care. Ariel. The 5-year-old girl who was in a Missouri car crash involving former Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid has awoken from a coma, a relative announced. Neither driver, nor an adult passenger riding in the Traverse, were hurt;however, the two young children sitting in back seat of the Traverse were injured. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Miller can't even be surrounded by a parade of loved ones offering support. Feb. 16 (UPI) -- Ariel Young, the 5-year-old girl who was hurt in a car crash that involved former Kansas City Chiefs linebackers coach Britt Reid, is awake from a coma, her family said in. The GoFundMe page states the money will go to Ariels mother, Felicia Miller: Chiefs Super Bowl Champions Gear & Apparel. Ariels mother haddriven the Traverse to the I-435 ramp to help a cousin who had run out of gas, according to the GoFundMe page. Check out never-before-seen content, free digital evidence kits, and much more! Felicia Miller is the mother of 5-year-old Ariel, who sustained a traumatic brain injury after Reid, who is the son of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, was accused of hitting two parked cars, one of which she was in, back in February 2021 near the Truman Sports Complex. "Ariel's life is forever changed because of Britt Reid. KMBC-ABC Family members and supporters of Ariel Young attend the court appearance of former NFL coach Britt Neil in Kansas City, Mo., Sept. 13, 2022. Ariel received the most attention because her injuries were so extensive. Former NFL coach Britt Reid has been sentenced to three years in prison. This is a private company. Reid, who serves as the Chiefs outside linebackers coach, is the son of head coach Andy Reid. Miller also replied in a post that Ariel is "getting better.". She had non-life threatening injuries. The officer conducted an initial and full sobriety test and saw four clues of impairment. Legally, the organization doesnt have to say anything. What do the orange, green dots on my iPhone mean? Felicia Miller explains how Ariels life is forever changed by that night. The defendant, Britt Reid has pleaded guilty to driving under the influence when he slammed into cars pulled to the side of an on-ramp to I-435 near Arrowhead Stadium. A source told ESPNs Dianna Russini that will Reids injuries are not life-threatening, he is expected to be in the hospital for days dealing with a medical issue that developed at the scene but is not related to the accident., READ NEXT: How to Win $1,515 for Every Minute Patrick Mahomes Has the Ball, Ariel: 5-Year-Old Girl Remains Comatose After Chiefs Coach Car Crash, Please review our privacy policy here: https://heavy.com/privacy-policy/, Copyright 2023 Heavy, Inc. All rights reserved. According to police report obtained by ESPN, police said Reids eyes had appeared bloodshot and that the officer noticed a moderate odor of alcoholic beverages. According to police, Reid allegedly admitted to having two or three drinks and said he was also taking a prescription for Adderall. The accident occurred at the interchange between Interstates 70 and 435, the most obvious route home. I apologize to the family. The family of five-year-old Ariel Young (right), who suffered brain damaged after a car crash involving former Kansas City Chiefs' assistant coach Britt Reid (left) on February 4, is calling. Ariel has poor balance. And in 2008, Reid pleaded guilty to driving under the influence of a controlled substance. 5-Year-Old Girl Ariel Struggling For Her Life After DUI Crash With Kansas City Chiefs' Coach Britt Reid Posted on February 8, 2021 - By hiphopobama This is a modal window. On Sunday, as the Kansas City Chiefs were losing the Super Bowl in Tampa, Felicia Miller was back in Missouri, alone by the hospital bed of her comatose, 5-year-old daughter, Ariel. Ariels mother, Felicia Miller, submitted a statement read by prosecutors in open court. In a statement to PEOPLE, the Miller family's attorney, Tom Porto, says: "The victims of this crime are outraged the Defendant was not sentenced to the maximum sentence allowable by law. So far, the team has issued just a brief, terse and fairly heartless statement noting that our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved.. When arrived at the hospital I conducted a full battery of HGN and observed 4 clues of impairment. *Reids attorney said he has had no communication with the family and has no comment at this time. When I arrived at the location I made contact with REID and could smell a moderate odor of alcoholic beverages emanating from his person and his eyes were bloodshot and red. She hasnt woken up since the crash. A 5-year-old girl who was ina Missouri car crashinvolving Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid has been left fighting for her life in a hospital bed, photos show. (KCTV) - The mother of the little girl seriously injured in a drunken car crash had a lot to say to the court Tuesday afternoon. Ariel remains in the hospital in critical condition and is not awake, her aunt, Tiffany Verhulst, wrote Sunday on a GoFundMe she set up for Miller, a single, working mother of three, to offset what will be significant medical bills and lost earnings. All Rights Reserved. Shes in special education classes because she takes longer to process information. "She's been strong through the whole last almost two years," she said. Works at The Graphic Tee. A 5-year-old girl left critically injured and in a coma following a crash this month involving Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid is now awake, her family said in an online post.. We've received your submission. We appreciate any support that is given right now. The family of a five-year-old girl fighting for her life after sustaining injuries in a multi-vehicle car crash involving Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid, recently launched a . Staying quiet and not helping is within the Chiefs rights. In an exclusive interview with Good Morning America, Tom Porto, the family attorney of the Young family -- whose daughter, Ariel, 5, was injured after former Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid struck their vehicle -- is describing the severity of the wreck that nearly killed the five-year-old girl. As of Monday, the family has raised over $300,000, mostly through small donations $10, $20, $35 a pop. Thank you to everyone who has donated to support the family through this hard time, we are so grateful.. "This wasn't a fender bender," Porto told "Good Morning America." "This was a serious life-altering event." We've received your submission. Ariels 4-year-old cousin was also with them. Among the injured was Ariel, who according to family, suffered swelling and bleeding in and around the brain. Select this result to view Ariel Nicole Miller's phone number, address, and more. Britt Reid has a prior criminal past and was arrested in 2007 for pointing a handgun at another driver during a dispute. Britt Reid Linebackers coach for the Kansas City Chiefs speaks to the media during the Kansas City Chiefs media availability prior to Super Bowl LIV at the JW Marriott Turnberry on January 29, 2020 in Aventura, Florida. Reid the son of Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was taken immediately into custody., local affiliate KSHB reports. "I made a huge mistake. We are in the process of gathering information, and we will have no further comment at this time. Ariel Miller. Just moments into. Shes not walking -- its a sad, sad, sad story.. The Chiefs are worldly enough to know, however, that when the police say when someone has bloodshot eyes and alcohol on their breath and that person admits to drinking before getting behind the wheel, the conclusion is all but forgone. This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. A 5-year-old girl who was in a Missouri car crash involving Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid has been left fighting for her life in a hospital bed, photos show. Officers requested and received a search warrant to draw Reids blood. She wears thick glasses that she never wore before. The toxicology results arent back yet and within the legal system, Britt Reid maintains his innocence. The charge stemmed from a Feb. 4, 2021 highway crash that injured Ariel Miller, then 5, and four others. 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Stolen car kills pedestrian before crashing into building that collapsed, Top NFL prospect turns self in over crash that killed teammate, staffer and released 16 minutes later, Dukes of Hazzard General Lee wrecked in crash, Off-duty NYPD cops husband dies in Rockland County car wreck, Daniel Jones needs to see big picture in Giants negotiations, Red-hot Jon Rahm no match for wind-swept Bay Hill: 'F--king hard', Unprecedented turnaround sets this team up to be MLB's greatest show, The Marchand and Ourand Sports Media Podcast, The Show with Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman, Amazin' But True: A NY Mets Baseball Podcast, Gangs All Here: A NY Jets Football Podcast, Julius Randle drills heroic game-winner as Knicks' streak reaches eight, Longtime coach suspects why he's become NFL outcast: 'I hate to say it', Iowa State kicks senior guard off team: 'Said something I regret', Kellyanne Conway and George Conway to divorce, Canadian teacher with size-Z prosthetic breasts placed on paid leave. Ariel was a passenger in one of two vehicles that Reid's pickup slammed into on the side of the entrance ramp along Interstate 435, near the team's practice facility. The young girl, whom relatives identified as Ariel, was seen hooked up to medical tubes and heavily bandaged in images posted to a GoFundMe page following the crash. Relatives had previously said she was facing a long road ahead in her recovery. The young girl, identified as Ariel . The mother of the girl who was injured in the crash connected to the charge expressed her hopes for the case via Facebook. Shes awake, which is a huge development, Porto said of Ariel. No child deserves to go through this, nor should any mother have to see her child like this. He also pleaded guilty to DUI and drug possession in a separate incident. The family of the 5-year-old who is fighting for her life after a car crash involving Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid responded to this tragedy as so many other . Police requested a blood draw for Reid to be taken at the hospital, according to, No charges have been filed, officer Donna Drake, a spokesperson for the police department told. Get the Android Weather app from Google Play, Science & Weather Together presented by Bayer, Weather Aware Guide: Winter storms, warnings, wind chill and more, wreck involving Kansas City Chiefs coachBritt Reid, Chiefs coach Andy Reid addresses crash involving son Britt Reid that left 5-year-old critically hurt, He had been placed on administrative leave, Best smart home devices for older users, according, How to get started on spring cleaning early, according, Worried about your student using ChatGPT for homework? A 5-year-old girl continues to fight for her life after a car crash involving Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid. Her mother points out that while that Reids family has made a living off of sports, Ariel will never be able to play. KANSAS CITY, Mo. No charges have been filed, officer Donna Drake, a spokesperson for the police department told Oxygen.com. The crash occurred near the Chiefs facility, where Britt Reid was presumably working that day. Her name is Ariel, and she is five years old. The family attorney for a 5-year-old girl involved in a devastating three-car crash last month is speaking out for the first time. Ariel didnt wake up for two weeks and had to learn how to walk, talk and eat. According to a search warrant application obtained by ABC News, an officer on-scene reported smelling a moderate odor of alcoholic beverages emanating from [Reid]. Reid told the officer hed had 2-3 drinks and was on the prescription drug Adderall.. On Sunday, as the Kansas City Chiefs were losing the Super Bowl in Tampa, Felicia Miller was back in Missouri, alone by the hospital bed of her comatose, 5-year-old daughter, Ariel. A computer check revealed REID has a valid Kansas operators license and multiple prior DUI contacts. According to a GoFundMe account set up by a relative, Ariel suffered swelling and bleeding in and around the brain. On a night in February 2021, Felicia Miller had pulled over on the side of the road to help her cousin, whose car had broken down, as her 5-year-old daughter waited in the backseat. "When I got her outta the car, she was stiff she was just stiff like a board.". After over a week in a coma, family says Ariel, the 5-year-old girl critically injured in a wreck involving Kansas City Chiefs coach Britt Reid, is now awake. By Super Bowl Sunday, the fundraiser campaign has already raised over $150,000 to help pay for Ariels medical expenses. "My heart goes out to that young lady, Andy Reid said Monday morning. Kansas City police say this investigation will takeat leasta month to finish. No child deserves to go through this, nor should any mother have to see her child like this. Thanks for contacting us. She also wears thick glasses that she didnt need before. Ariel Young, the 5-year-old girl who suffered a serious brain injury in a car crash earlier this month involving the son of Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, has a long road ahead in. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. Where to get a Yuengling beer in Kansas City, KC Police Board remembers fallen KCPD officer, K9, KC needs volunteers for Big 12 Championships, events, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Ariel continues to suffer from motion sickness and threw up in the car every time she drove to therapy. Reid was behind the wheel of a white Dodge Ram near the Chiefs practice facility around 9 p.m. Thursday when he struck a Chevrolet Traverse that was pulled over on the side of a highway entrance ramp, authoritiessaid. Both were transported to the hospital. A photo of the 5-year-old girl that was critically injured in a crash along Interstate 435 in Kansas City, Missouri, on Feb. 5, 2021. A little after 9 pm Thursday night 5 year old Ariel, her mother, aunt and 4 year old cousin were out helping a family member who ran out of gas near I-435 and Stadium Drive. I was . The charge stemmed from a Feb. 4, 2021 highway crash that injured Ariel Miller, then 5, and four others. She is Ariel strong. Britt did have surgery, but hes doing better now, but that little girl, my heart goes out to her.. The 5-year-old girl who has been hospitalized since a Feb. 4 car crash in Kansas City, Missouri, involving Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid has awakened from a coma.. Ariel is still fighting for her life in a Kansas City, Missouri, hospital with a brain injury and unable to speak, according to Porto. The lawyer for the family of Ariel Young, the 5-year-old girl injured in a car crash last month involving the son of Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, says she likely suffered. KANSAS CITY, Mo. Their investigation is ongoing. He served five months. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Ariel is still fighting for her life in a Kansas City, Missouri, hospital with a brain injury and unable to speak, according to Porto. What I do know are the statements that he made to police that night. Felicia Miller is the mother of 5-year-old Ariel, who sustained a traumatic brain injury after Reid, who is the son of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, was accused of hitting two parked cars, one. Hes been to prison. Police said just before the crash, a grey Chevy Impala had run out of gas and was stopped with its flashers on along a southbound entrance ramp onto I-435; however, police noted that the battery was dying, which could have impacted the brightness of the lights. A 5-year-old girl continues tofightfor her life after a car crash involving Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid. is how she thinks," said Miller. Following the car crash, the Kansas City Chiefs placed Reid on administrative leave. a***@jedunn.com. Prior to the plea deal, he was facing a maximum of seven years in prison and a trial. All Rights Reserved. "I think the family is upset, because they perceive a different system of justice for those who have privilege and those who don't, those who have privilege and those people from the victim's community," said Tom Porto, the family's attorney.