Ogden Smiths and Hussey 16g ~ This would make someone a great little upland gun! I used one like it for years and loved it. For home defense Good high brass or even low brass bird shoot like #6 or even 7 1/2 works great because you are most likely at point blank to across a room at most. Rare Find. Could the barrels be shorter and still be NFA legal? A very old gun dating back to the 1700's to the early 1800's. You use what have you have and what you know. Rare Jenks carbine with tape primer ignition system Manufactured from 1847-48. Mechanically functions fine and features a side lever barrel release. This little Hellis is a perfect example. Markings are "Giuseppe Merli in Brescia". Percussion With Original Scabbard. W.H. Ex. Show Only Guns He also remarks of sales to the Massachusetts Militia. George Bate 20ga between the wars English double with a beautifully long LOP. Notify When In Stock. Which usually scares off any intruder. Find a Stoeger Dealer. I have to ask: When you say Size of shot pattern for birdshot to buck shot no more than a quater under 15 , have you actually patterned your gun? The 41 inch has a brown patina and is marke, 1800s ENGRAVED Antique German Percussion Back Action SxS 16 Gauge Shotgun Mid-1800s Double Barrel Fowling Gun Here we present an antique German Double Barrel Percussion Side by Side Hammer, Fine French flintlock, double-barrel, 20-bore Sporting Gun with British proof marks, ca. We are offering for sale an Antique LONDON MADE Side by Side shotgun chambered in 12GA. Cond. Second having access to backup rounds was considered, and third the intimidation of a laser sight/flashlight combination was also added with a folding stock. Availability: Please Call 1877 SIXGUN1. This model does not break open. Quality work. Weight: 6 Lbs. LePage, Paris. I just dont see the need in the confines of my bedroom. Good condition antique Belgian 12 gauge double barrel shotgun that is marked "W.M. The pull from the trigger to the end of the stock is only 11 inches. My personal Century Arms double-barrel was ordered in 20-gauge. Coach guns are formidable shotguns capable of defending the home. This patent is still in use today by Merkel on their best over and unders. This gun is tight and field ready. The overall length is 37 inches, and the shotgun weighs about 7.5 pounds. Just in case. Add to Wish List . We don't know a lot about this maker except that he set up shop at 5 Pelham's Lane in Colchester, Essex, from 1901 to 1913. *Double trigger O/U doubles are hard to come by. The 20-gauge kicks about half as much as the 12-gauge and carries about 55% of the payload. At best it will penetrate only a few inches of gelatin and would probably be stopped by winter clothing. Yeah, but 20 inches is a great length, giving the gun excellent balance and a smooth swing. $214.95 . Lots of condition on this classic Greener FH 35. My other edc gun is a Winchester 86 extra light in 45-70. Petrik 16 ga Over&Under~ Only 5lbs. The single best, and most economical arm for hunting and defense in the Old West was the side by side, double-barreled shotgun. Well written article for those who chose to use one. Some may have limited working action but these are primarily hand props that are just for looks. That's the good points! 25 Whittal Street, Birmingham. I did this years ago and it started me being interested in patterning. Heavy, kicks like a mule, AND holds 2 cartridges? Especially now that Schumer is top Dem in Senate. (But effective!). Action is in fine condition. Some old pitting and rust on the barrel. I really appreciate the Prince of Wales semi pistol grip. The turkey loads produced dense and deadly patterns for a gobbler at 25 yards despite the cylinder choke. Both guns operate in the same fashion, new enhanced safety/trigger devices were added and are readily accessible. The stock has numerous handling marks. I really like the checkered side panels. Dont get me wrong, itll thump your rear like an angry mule with hemerroids using 00 buck, rifled slugs, 3 heavy high wall brass, magnums doesnt matter, itll eat it. I have an old style exposed hammer coach gun. 1 2 3 8 Next . A magnificent 18-bore double-barreled flintlock sporting gun, #862, made in 1806, and so marked inside each lock and on the underside of the barrels at the breeches. TriStar introduced two value-priced double-barrel shotguns for 2021. Whether or not you can handle it is another story. A nice solid round action from France with the classic double under bite with the rising third bite these Ideal grades are known for. No, SOLD Another Mid-19th century 12ga. 12 GA SIDE BY SIDE 2 18 BARREL. So, despite the safety, I still shoot, promote and get excited about these guns as they are worth having, shooting and appreciating due to their great balanced round action and features. But if you have your heart set on that exposed-hammer goodness, theres at least one other option out there if you dont want to hit the used market. As for me, a Mossberg 500 in .410, with 3 FEDERAL #4 Buck (Handgun) ammo, is my choice, Well. A very nice boxlock for the price. Very unique! Many companies would offer their double-barrel models from the factory with 12- to 24-inch barrels. The bores are bright and shiny and show no dents or dings. Churchill "Utility" Grade XXV with famous Churchill rib and weighs in at 6 lbs. I have shot this gun and I have to say it handles extremely well. They are blaming Weiner, Comey, Fox news, the Russians, skipping Wisconsin etc. I usually have to poke a cleaning rod down the barrel to get the shells loose, or drop something down the barrel to knock the shells far enough out of the chamber to grab and pull. Thus making their own coach guns. Im a retired police officer and always wanted a coach gun. Overall length of 35". This example includes bushed firing pins often only seen in high grade sidelocks. Affordable and powerful, it is worth a look. While I use birdshot for training, birdshot is by no means useful for personal defense. All Types (3) Barrel is a plum/brown color with good bores. My double barrel has few parts, is impossible to jam, needs no safety and shows me whats in the chamber every two shots. Im a big fan of the Coach gun. With 12 gauge or smaller inserts this gun might lend itself to be a good gun for the vintager sporting clay course as the weight and stock dimensions are good. coach guns this whole article just makes me laugh. but itll do the job if you do a touch of work on it. While prior to the advent of metallic cartridges, the blunderbuss and muzzle loaded side by side were known as coach guns, that term has also been carried forth to include side by side shotguns as often seen up on the boot of stagecoaches in the Old West. This is an original antique circa 1875-1880 double-barreled shotgun with original 18 inch barrels commonly known as a "coach gun". It loosened up quite a bit after just two range sessions, and Im sure it wouldnt take long for the barrels to start falling open when you press the action release lever, but its just something to be aware of. Featured Gun Classifieds Antique Shotguns - 1500-1850, Castiglioni, Brescia. CONTACT. Editors note: This post was originally published in December of 2016. It functions fine but I don't find them as ergonomic as the top safe. That is all, pretty much, still true. This modified 8 gauge, .815 is basically an unused gun. Even in a short barrel double or pump its not out the wading yet and acts like a minimal penetrating frangible slug. Certainly #4 would be good. As a result, the American Tactical recently announced the company will offer two new bolt-action rifle systems from Black Creek Labs. The hinged action was stiff at first, but became easier to use with a couple of trips to the range. The bore is smooth and the lock tight and fir, 141. Taylors & Company FS Tactical 1911: Now in 10mm! . On this type of gun that would not be horribly expensive. Though many in general will not admit it. The companys hammerless Side-By-Side Coach Shotgun comes in 12 or 20 gauge with 20-inch barrels like the others, but with a bit of added capability. This gun is from the 1810's-1820's. Metal has been cleaned and is nice and sharp. But times are tough, so I ran a wide variety of whatever shells I could find through this double-barrel, including a few targets loads, some 2 3/4-inch 00 Buck, a couple of my very precious 3-inch 5 shot Winchester Longbeard XR turkey rounds, and a few boxes of 1 3/4-inch Federal Shorty rounds. What a great little double gun. On the other hand, Winchesters #3 buckshot load holds 20 buckshot pellets. The company saw fit to arm its messengers with what would become known as messenger guns and coach guns. Like the double-barrel version, the Triple Threat accepts Rem choke tubes, allowing for a different choke on each barrel, if desired. If you prefer a hammerless version of this excellent coach gun, CZ makes the Sharp-Tail Coach, which is basically the same shotgun, just without the rabbit ears on the receiver. A hammer gun has to be cocked and under stress that might get you killed. side by side that weighs under 6 lbs. Known as The Coach Gun, this version of the Colt 1878 Shotgun has the shorter 20 barrels for better handling in tight spaces. Looking from the breach end the bores look clean bright and shiny. As far as cost reasons to buy a coach gun, Cheaperthandirt has many pump actions for less than what the CZ coach gun costs. We found it shot a great pattern at close range, as mentioned in the article. My Rossi overland coach 12 ga has an improved barrel on the left (front trigger) and a modified barrel on the right (rear). "Double Barrel Flintlock Coach Gun by Wilson. We have had a number of Braddell guns over the years and they have always been very well made. The other option is to have it restocked to fit you! When Daly introduced its triple-barrel break action shotguns a few years ago, there were a lot of sneers and jokes, until people started shooting them. Hunting shotguns. of shot. Being able to point and shoot at a threat quickly and with devastating effect remains a goal of all self-defense firearms, and a short-barreled shotgun is still a great tool for the job. Not lockplates in it however. A lighter load first and then buckshot for problems inside the home. I prefer a pump action shotgun because just the sound of you racking a round in he chamber is the scariest sound in the world. The audible racking of a pump is probably overrated, because you are likely to do it before the bad guy is close enough to hear it. Some coach style guns come with choke tubes, which is useful. Fact is even a .410 can be pretty effective with proper shot placement at close range. And not as expensive as some of the other big brand name ammo. Completed in 1901 this Scott is in remarkable condition retaining over 90% of its original case color and blue. 6 oz.. Antique Firearms. Other times, folks would buy full-size shotguns and cut the barrels down to the desired length. the side-by-side double-barreled shotgun was a mainstay to settlers, miners, ranchers, and just about anyone who needed a weapon. To be honest the difference to the BAD GUYs is going to be marginal at best and the Bad Guy(s) will never know the difference. Tactical Life Gun Magazine: Gun news, gun reviews and gun magazines for gun enthusiasts, military and law enforcement, You use of this website constitutes and manifests your acceptance of our, ENTER TO WIN > Free Gun Friday for your chance to WIN the SIG Sauer P320 AXG Legion and Black Hills HoneyBadger Ammo, Anderson Manufacturing Kiger-9c Pro: Upgrades and EDC Ready, Stow it and Go: The Volquartsen 22 LR VT2 Takedown Rifle. I have also found that staring down both barrels has a tremendous psychological impact on most neer-do-wells. Please be respectful of others. The double-barrel shotgun is an excellent all-around shotgun for defense use and ideal for many of us. The left choke is over tight in choke but we could have this opened up to what you would want for an additional $75.00. It will beat you up after a little while, and 3-inch turkey shells are going to make you know you shot them. 509 -665 -7675. While nostalgia has often drawn me to the acquisition of firearms, and the old side-by-side external hammer shotgun has certainly done so (to the tune of having a few in my collection), for real life tactical applications I much prefer the pump shotgun. External hammers make sense for less experienced shooters and for loaded storage. A great entry level English double that is field ready. Thanks Kaz, yes Marine if you read carefully I said if the perp isnt fleeing after the first shot, then barrel 2. If you're looking for a traditional double-barrel shotgun, look no further. The left side of the frame has the Robbins & Lawrence and C.P. One does NOT become competent or capable by purchasing or owning ANY firearm..or with any firearm they never practice with under various conditions. And yes my state allows you to chase them down outside and shoot them. With their limited capacity, the original coach guns might not be the best comparatively, but they are still really solid and effective. The Shooter's Log, is to provide informationnot opinionsto our customers and the shooting community. Some of the side-by-side shotgun manufacturers that we carry are: Mossberg , CZ USA, and Stoeger. Cond. Found this post and thought that everyone would like to know that #7 1/2 birdshot is very deadly at ranges measured in inches, not yards. Cimarron Shotgun 1878 12ga Coach Gun - 1878CG . All Rights Reserved. I love the game scenes on three sides and on the trigger guard and also the exceptional acanthus scroll on the fences and on the action. Built on a unique but 100% trigger plate action this is a gun that I have always been intrigued with. The double-barrel is also fun to shoot. Carbine is overall in great condition. The double-barrel with two loads of buckshot was ideal for taking dangerous felons at gunpoint. Buckshot is (arguably) the best pest/varmint control around. The Condor Outback is also available with a less striking combo of blued steel and an A-grade walnut stock or a synthetic stock. Almost all double guns have internal hammer designs, which all serves to make the CZ Hammer Coach even cooler. I will say, the exposed hammers take a tiny bit of getting used to. They were most often chambered for 12- or 10-gauge shells and had exposed double hammers and double triggers to match. Features nice shiny bright bores. It is tight and on face and field ready. It may not have a great selection of antique double barrel options, but there are some quite valuable shotguns that you will want to look into. The gun is tight on face and field ready. It would be gone if properly oil finished. W Moore & Co London double barrel 10 gauge, "SUPER RARE" ANTIQUE COACH GUN 1830's to 1840's 45 Cal. We reserve the right to edit as appropriate, delete profane, harassing, abusive and spam comments or posts, and block repeat offenders. Hide Brhind; and by James Woodward to say the least. English boxlock with great modern dimensions, E. M. Reilly 28ga Boxlock with lots of case colors and condition, C. S. Rosson & Co 410 Boxlock with lots of case color and great dimensions. Ive seen people that could reload, open, drop, load, close and fan the hammers back, with machine-like speed, ready for rounds 3 and 4 almost as quickly as some of you can pump your Mossberg 500s. We found this in the back of the vault and thought we should find a home for it. Exceptionally rare and fine 23-bore O/U double flintlock sporting gun, ca. Signup now! This Scottish gun from Edinburgh while appearing worn on the outside is actually a fairly stout and strong gun. Serial: 3975. My wife knows how to use, though the recoil is pretty rough in the 12 gauge model. The Bristol and . These simple, rugged and workmanlike shotguns are well suited to many traditional shotgun chores. Trick out or upgrade your firearm with the largest gun parts selection at eBay.com. Coach guns are fine IF all you expect to do is fire two rounds. I now have a win. The double barrel allows for a simpler (and faster weapon back to target with PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, AND MORE PRACTICE) reload than most any handgun with less practice and will allow with quick follow up shotsshooting from the hip can and should be learned. MOORE CO. BELGIUM" on both locks and "CAST-STEEL BELGIUM" on the barrel rib. Built about 1898 this gem can be shipped direct. It will handle 2 legged pests and varmints quite adequately. Following the success of its initial collaboration with Vertx, Premier Body Armor announces its continued partnership. So, you won't see auction guns from the early 1900s with price tags of $10,000+ here. Would you like to receive an email notification when stuff happens on this site? defender and although the appearance doesnt have the same effect as a double it has an effect as a short barrel shotgun and the racking of the slide to chamber a round is unmistakable and a very effective psychological tool. The Howdah 20-Gauge Double-Barrel Flintlock Pistol Has a Deep History Coach Guns Were the Best Line of Defense The company saw fit to arm its messengers with what would become known as messenger guns and coach guns. shotgun/rifle. Also a laser and flashlight combo were added for visibility JIC. CG1878-20. But it also means the gun requires a bit of breaking in. 18 1/2 inch brown Damascus barrels with brass fore-sight, Liege proofs and concave matte rib marked The Climax Laminated Steel. grew up with a 16 gauge single break action. Many years ago (late 1960s) a family friend was hunting rabbits in South Maine one sunny February day. Shopping with us is absolutely safe - you never have to worry about credit card safety when shopping here Share your latest AR build or photos from the range with #RangeDayFriday for a chance to win a new firearm! Find some of the best-selling side-by-side shotguns here! WANTED! Everyones budget and circumstances do not allow purchasing an expensive defensive shotgun. The gun was nitro proofed in 1968 according to the proof marks on the flats. There are 16 models in their coach gun line in both 12 and 20 gauge with different finish and stock options, all with 20-inch barrels. Number of bids and bid amounts may be slightly out of date. Yes! Real safety is between the ears and involves keeping the finger off of the trigger until you fire. It now sits ready next to my bed. GI#: 102201293 H. Nock, London. This model also features bushed firing pins and the coveted extra safety sears for each barrel, and engraved heel and toe clips. My favorite SxS shotguns are simple, efficient in design, field useable, and ultimately a working man's shotgun. Holland & Holland center or for left eye vision or what is called "Cross eyed stock" in 16g! In that regard this gun is a perfect example as it is hard to close. Guns were made after that time, but most collectors agree that quality began to decline after the depression. Looks to have a little extra var .Click for more info of Edinburgh Scotland ~ A solid Scottish double that is ready for the field, W.W. Greener Model FH35 ~ This is a very original Greener with 2 3/4" proofs, Watson Brothers boxlock with newer barrels by John Dickson & Son. I always tell them that I dont have a set go to gun because I have guns stashed all over my home. New Gun Listing Notifications, Click anywhere on the large image below to zoom in, or use the Like a Purdey, these guns are known to be hard to close as you compress the springs as you close the gun. For a gun with 28" barrels and a decent LOP this gun is light at 6 lbs. If ya want a single shot sad to say it but the Stevens 301 is the closest thing to the old NEF. William Evans boxlock ~ A very quality gun for the price which is tight and field ready, Thomas Wild 12g. This goes for most males too. Add the gorgeous color case hardening on the receiver and triggerguard, and this is one fine shotgun, inside and out. Similar to the Stoeger Double Defense model, the Charles Daly 204XT is an over/under tactical break-action shotgun with 20-inch barrels, rails for optics and accessories, extended choke tubes and a single selective trigger with a tang mounted safety control switch. These Francotte guns are fabulous values. The sound of a pump action will scare the Hell out ofwhatever. The gun didnt do great on clays, but I can attribute that almost entirely to the shooter, not the gun. This Jennings rifle was manufactured in 1852 by Robbins and Lawrence i, Rare DREYSE NEEDLE FIRE Shotgun PRUSSIAN Antique Double Barrel SxS 16 Gauge c1850s Predecessor to the Centerfire System! I would not say it is really easy but is something that can certainly be learned. Worst case scenario in this you will still get at least one bad guy and a blood trail.. Again it is practice/familiarization and what one has in their hands at the time of need. Part octagon barrel that is abou, Ketland & Co. I also wished Id thought to scrounge up some paper-hulled shells to go with it. Was striker fired, not a hammer gun, made, according to the stamp on the breech hinge, when opened, in 1898 for a Smiths Hardware Store, Little Rock, Arkansas.